Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Recipe: Anita's Crab, Corn and Avocado Salad


This past Saturday (January 24th) I poured Merryvale's Starmont Sauvignon Blanc. I absolutely enjoyed it because it was a refreshing change from the New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc I drink in the summer. Starmont Sauvignon Blanc is blended with 5% Semillion.  It was grassy with citrus on the back end.  Long finish and balanced.  Having poured it.  Tasted it.  LOVED it.  All I can think of now is how fantastic it would be paired with my Crab Salad.  I will be preparing my Crab Salad for dinner Friday night when Dave is back in town.  For now, I'll just share the recipe with you, and some pictures.

In October, when Dave and I went to Paso Robles,  our first stop was at one of our favorite Paso Robles wineries, Niner.  



I love this copse of treese in the shape of a heart.  It's been my screen saver 
since our trip to Paso in 2011.

Tasting room off to the left.

We first did the wine tasting and then went on the patio to have lunch.  Although we drink more red wines than white, be both wanted the Crab Salad.  I had Sauvignon Blanc and Dave, Chardonnay.  

Dave on the patio as we wait for lunch.  Oops!  First glass of wine gone.

Me on the patio waiting for lunch. 

The man on the right (over my shoulder) is Stephan Asseo, Winemaker
L'Aventure Winery.  Dave and I have belonged to L'Aventure since our
trip in October, 2011.  Fantastic wines.  It was great to see him at Niner
having lunch and enjoying wine.  Confirmation we have great taste.

The Crab Salad was to die for!  Dave and I discected it and asked our server what the oil was.  I wrote it down and when we arrived home, had to prepare it.

Presentation - Niner's Crab Salad

Presentation - Anita's Crab Salad


So what do you think?  Presentation looks fairly similar.  I just didn't replicate the tuile.  So here's my recipe ...

Anita's Crab, Corn and Avocado Salad
12 oz. jumbo lump crab meat
1 c. yellow corn kernels
2 avocados
salt
1 Tbl. orange olive oil
1 Tbl. lime olive oil 
¼ c. chopped cilantro

Line 4 6oz. ramekins with plastic wrap. If you have ring mold, use that.  Set aside.

Place avocado meat in a medium mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Season with salt.  Set aside.

Place 3 oz. crab meat in each ramekin. Top with ¼ c. corn.  The last layer, split the mashed avocado evenly among the ramekins. Fold over the plastic wrap and refridgerate until ready to serve.

To serve: unwrap plastic wrap.  Place serving plate on top of ramekin and flip plate/ramekin over.  Pull up ramekin and peel off plastic wrap.  Season with salt.  Drizzle each salad with ¾ teaspoon orange olive oil and ¾ teaspoon lime olive oils.  Garnish with cilantro.  ENJOY!

Yiels: 4 servings

Note:  In the summer I'll use fresh yellow corn kernels cut from the cob.  For now, I'm using TFM's frozen yellow corn (thawed).  I prepared it once with white corn and it didn't have the pretty layers of color.  Looked anemic.

Friday night when I get home from work, I will relax with a nice glass of Sauvignon Blanc and this salad.  (With Dave of course.) 




No comments:

Post a Comment