Friday, June 11, 2021

Wine Review: Replica Knockoff Chardonnay, 2019 - Recipe: Wild Alaskan King Salmon en Papillote with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc

As Aretha Franklin's song Day Dreaming goes ... "day drinking and I'm thinking of you, day drinking and I'm thinking of you..."  

Isn't this piece of
Wild Alaskan King Salmon perfect?!

Wild Alaskan King Salmon is in!!!  Have to tell you, this is my all time favorite fish. Something I'll splurge on once, or twice, a year.  Taking one for the team, I had to do some day drinking. I purchased  a beautiful piece of salmon (above) for lunch and a bottle of Replica Knockoff Chardonnay.


Replica Knockoff Chardonnay, 2019.  This was on the 90/20 display and price was very reasonable at $13.99.  Plus, in the past, I've sampled out Replica's other knockoff wines, side by side with what they were knocking off  for a lesser price - ie. Replica's Retrofit Chardonnay with Rombauer Chardonnay and Retrofit was prefered by 98% of my customers.  

Winemaker's Notes: (which sad to say are the same as 2018's so is this truly 2019's notes?) Tropical fruit, caramel, and spice notes crisply balance full-bodied flavors that echo the nose of this California Chardonnay, while adding some yellow stone-fruit flavors.

I have the wineries tasting notes above because this wine, for lack of a better word, killed my palate. Aside from that, I'll give say it was at best, one note. For me Replica Knockoff Chardonnay had a petrol nose and that is all I got.  On my palate I found a hint of petrol and the acidity more than I enjoy; it wasn't a sipping wine and needed food (thank goodness I purchased the salmon).  It is defintely an oaked Chardonnay.  Have to say, this had to warm up significantly for the acidity to calm down.  But, it did not help the flavor profile. Paired nicely with my salmon and buerre blanc sauce.  Dave tasted this and it was ... "no way".

*****


Wild Alaskan King Salmon en Papillote with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.  Place salmon on parchment paper and season with Crazy Jane's Basil Seasoning.  Top with lemon slices and a couple pats of butter.  Crimp parchment closed (see YouTube on how to make en Papillote).  Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

This was cooked to perfection for me.  Very moist.

Lemon Basil Beurre Blanc Sauce
(adapted from The New York Times Seafood Cookbook)

1/2 c. loosely packed basil leaves
2 Tbl. heavy cream
3 oz. Replica Knockoff Chardonnay
2 Tbl. white wine vinegar
2 Tbl. fresh lemon juice
1 small shallot, diced
6 Tbl. butter
salt to taste

Puree basil and heavy cream in a mini-chopper or immersion blender. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, add Chardonnay, vinegar, lemon juice and shallot.  Brint to a boil and continue to cook until reduced by half.  Remove from heat and add basil-cream mixture.  Return to a low heat and whisk in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, until thoroughly incorporated. Strain sauce. Season with salt to taste.

Serving size: enough for 3/4 lb. salmon

For me this sauce was too thin and needed more flavor.  However, it was nice with the salmon and chardonnay (even though drinking the Chardonnay was awful).  The sauce helped to mellow the acidity in the wine.  Could even do this sauce with chicken.  

Let's just say this sauce/recipe is a work in progress for me. Maybe add lemon zest?  Capers instead of basil?  Thyme? If I do come up with another version, I will update this post.  That won't be until I save up enough money to purchase another piece of Wild Alaskan King Salmon.  Pricy but oh so tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment