Sunday, January 5, 2014

Recipes: Corn and Black Bean Salad - Pizza Dip - Mamies Famous Cheese Wafers with Too Hot Mamas Sauce - Queso/Queso Gone Quiche

Before I get to this weekends recipes ...


Gift Bag

Coaster
Thank you Donna and Steve for the Thirstystone Sandstone Coasters with the wine motif.  I already have them on my end tables and use  them for my nightly glass (okay, glasses) of wine.  I also love the gift bag.  PERFECT!



Photo by Bruce


My resident TFM photographer (he always captures my happy side), Bruce, took my picture in my favorite apron.  I wear it every time I'm preparing food at the store.  What I think is funny, is when I wear the apron and a customer (non-regular) will come up to me for help and ask, "are you the wine lady?"  





On to the recipes ...


Pizza Dip and Mamies Wafers with Too Hot Mamas Sauce

There were two recipes that were runaway favorites and one recipe that just plain old ran away from me.

The first favorite was from Stonewall Kitchen.  Their recipes never seem to fail.  Even though this uses Spicy Corn Relish, it is not a spicy dish. 

Corn and Black Bean Salad
1 (16 oz.) jar Stonewall Kitchen 
     Spicy Corn Relish
1 (15 oz.) can TFM Black Beans, 
     drained
1 ripe avocado, peeled, cored and 
     cut into ¼-inch cubes 
¾ c. cherry tomatoes, diced 
¼ c. diced red onion 
8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, cubed 
¼ c. chopped cilantro

Combine all ingredients and serve with tortilla chips.

Option - add 1 jalapeno, diced. 

Stonewall Kitchen Spicy Corn Relish is located in the section with the pickles.


*****************

The next favorite is Pizza Dip.  I ran out of recipes and sold out of product.  

Pizza Dip
½ c. TFM sour cream
8 oz. TFM cream cheese, softened
1 c. pizza sauce
16 oz. fresh mozzarella, shredded
½ c. Reggiano-Paremsan or three cheese blend flakes 
     (asiago, reggiano, and domestic parmesan)
1 tsp. garlic powder
1½ tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 (5 oz.) stick Delallo Italian pepperoni, diced
 ½ c. diced onion
 ½ c. sliced black olives

In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with the blade attachment, place sour cream, cream cheese, pizza sauce, mozzarella, parmesan, half of the pepperoni, garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes.  Process until smooth (there may be a few small bits of pepperoni).  Stir in remaining pepperoni, onion, and olives.

Serve warm or cold, in a boule, with sliced baguette, or TFM French Rounds (Original, Garlic Toasted, or Garlic Parmesan).


*****************



My next taste offering, not really a recipe, was Mamies Famous Cheese Wafers with Too Hot Mamas Habanero/Apple Sauce.  SPICY.  Almost adicitive.
  
Located in the freezer section.

Cut Mamies Cheese Wafers into rounds as instructed on the package.  Using your thumb, make a small indentation in the center of the wafer and fill with 4 to 5 dashes of Too Hot Mamas Sauce.  Bake according to package directions.  Serve.


*****************

Last is the recipe that ran away from me. It all began when I was asked to sample out Tillamook Cheddar Cheese.  I went to Tillamook's website and found a recipe for Naturally Aged Queso.  I thought this was perfect. When I got to Fresh Market it all went down hill ...

... No Tillamook Monterey Jack cheese.
... No Tillamook Medium Cheddar cheese.
... No jalapenos in the store.
Damn, there's half my recipe.

Turns out TFM wanted me to sample Tillamook Vegetarian Cheddar; so I used it.  Since there were no jalapenos, in place of those and Monterey I used Pepper Jack cheese.  I'm thinking Plan B, no problem, all's good.  Well ...

... after all the ingredients were combined, and put in the oven, it didn't all melt together and something began to separate out.  Nothing I could do but serve it.  Then while I was serving it, I put another tray in the oven.  I forgot about it and although nothing separated out, it turned quiche-like.  Nothing I could but serve it and I topped it with salsa.

In the end, for both versions, the flavor was there and customers enjoyed it.

With that long tale finished, here's the recipe:


Queso/Queso Gone Quiche
8 oz. Pepper Jack cheese
4 oz. Tillamook Vegetarian Kosher 
     Medium Cheddar Cheese
 ¼ c. diced red onion
2 Tbl. chopped fresh cilantro
1 large Roma tomato, chopped

Preheat oven to 450o.  

Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, then arrange in an oven proof dish.  

If you tasted this on Friday - Bake unitl the cheese is melted, about 10 to 15 minutes.  Serve with tortilla chips.

If you tasted this on Saturday - Bake until it is quiche like (remember I forgot about it and don't know how long I cooked it for).  Serve with TFM Mild Salsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment