Sunday, October 11, 2015

Recipes: Sweet Heat Jalapeno Cheese Ball - Crowd Pleasin' Chutney Spread

Friday's tasting was so relaxing and enjoyable.  A nice little "welcome to my playground" gathering with great conversation, delicious food and nice wines.  

Left to Right:  Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Onion Jam over Cream Cheese - Crowd Pleasin' Chutney Spread -
Sweet Heat Jalapeno Cheese Ball.

Saturday's Pumpkin Fest was busy in spurts, but towards the end ... it was my Exorcist moment.  You know, deer in the headlights look with my head spinning.  But I managed to  make it through and spent most of today recuperating.  I can now focus on this recipe post.

First the hands down favorite, which I have sampled at the store many times.  It's always been a  hit and doesn't get any easier than this.

Roasted Garlic Onion Jam over Cream Cheese
1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Onion Jam
8 oz. TFM Cream Cheese

Place cream cheese on serving dish.  Top with ½ a jar (or to taste) jam.  Serve with Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt Crackers.

I can't believe how many customers were amazed that with just two ingredients you had a delicious appetizer.  SOLD out of  Roasted Garlic Onion Jam.

Typically I garnish this with chopped smoked almonds; not just for a layer of flavor, but also texture.  However, since there were nuts on Crowd Pleasn' Chutney Spread I omitted the nuts here.  If anyone had nut allergies I didn't want them not to be able to sample.

*****

The next two recipes were also customer favorites.  A little more than two ingredients, but oh so tasty.


Crowd Pleasin' Chutney Spread
2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
3 Tbl. curry powder
1 tsp. salt
¼ c. scallions, sliced
10 strips bacon, cooked well, drained and crumbled
¼ c. finely chopped smoked almonds or sesame seeds

In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, curry powder and salt.

Spread the cheese mixture on the bottom of a 10-inch quiche dish.

Puree the Old Farmhouse Chutney in a blender or food processor. Spread chutney on top of the cheese mixture.

Spread the scallions evenly over chutney layer. Sprinkle the bacon and almonds on top.

Serve with Melba toast or wheat crackers.


(May be prepared a day ahead and stored in the refrigerator.)

If you enjoy curry this recipe is for you.  Customers commented on how pretty it looked (you always want food to look appetizing) and the flavors.

Notes:
  • Instead of strips of bacon, I used ½ a jar Hormel Real Bacon Bits.  
  • I used a shallow bowl for serving, instead of a quiche dish.
  • My immersion blender did a quick job of pureeing with a lot less clean-up.


*****

The last, flavorful recipe is ...



Sweet Heat Jalapeno Cheese Ball
8 oz. TFM cream cheese, softened
½ lb. Drunken Goat, shredded
1/3 lb. PreMoo, shredded
½ c. Simply Pickled Sweet Heat 
     Jalapenos, drained and chopped


Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Mix until thoroughly blended.  Place in a serving bowl.  Serve with your favorite crackers or Original Pretzel Crisps.

If you enjoy spicy food ... yup, this one's for you.  If you don't like spicy food, just use less Sweet Heat Jalapenos in the recipe.

I would have rolled this in chopped smoked almonds, but again, didn't want to have nuts on everything for those who have nut allergies.  20-20 hindsight - I should have sprinkled this with a bit of Paprika for color.

Hormel Real Bacon Bits were open so I tried them with this.  The spice overpowered the bacon flavor.

Since I enjoy playing with my food, I tried adding mayonnaise to this.  I not only wanted to see flavor, but wanted the consistency to me more of a spread than a cheese ball.  Tasted pretty darn delicious.  Would have been yummy on a burger.  I'm also thinking instead of a hard goat cheese (Drunkin Goat), use a soft goat cheese.  I'll post the recipe, with the customer consensus, when I sample the new version/spread at the new TFM Grand Opening at the end of the month.  10/19/15 - I couldn't wait for the grand opening.  I prepared Sweet Heat Jalapeno Cheese spread, on Oct. 17, 2015.  It was so much better than the cheese ball.




Lastly, for those of you who heard my black cat story (I was pouring Black Cat Riesling) I solved my dilema.  I now have a withces hat on my kitty!  Thank you to the wonderful, unknown, customer that made the suggestion.


No comments:

Post a Comment