Sunday, August 16, 2015

Recipes: Caviar Spread - Hatch Chile Cheese Ball


Before I get to this weekends recipes ... I will be doing wine tastings at TFM Midlo on Tuesday's from 3:00 to 6:00.  I will post the wines on Monday.  

Customer photos from Saturday - 


Andrea, Rob, Pat (yes, it's her AGAIN), Patrick, Julie, Lori and Joe.


Julie with her son Patrick (he's my yougest groupie).

Jim and Cathy with .... you guessed it ... Pat.
When you look at Cathy and Pat's shirt don't you think, "Where's Waldo"? All that's missing is the beanie.

For a nice change I had caviar for sampling.  I wasn't sure who would enjoy caviar so I thought I'd prepare a recipe where the flavor of the caviar would be subdued.  I'm my own worst critic.  As I was preparing and tasting, I kept adjusting ingredients. Too much cream cheese. Too much dill. Not enough caviar.  Not bad.  Not great.  The time finally came to serve it.  I'm relieved to say this was a success!  A number of customers who did not like caviar were pleasantly surprised how much they enjoyed the recipe.  Customers who were afraid to ever try caviar, did and they enjoyed it.  The real taste test, for me, was with those who enjoyed caviar.  I was thrilled when they loved the recipe.  


Caviar Spread  
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ c. sour cream
1½ Tbl. Mascarpone
½ Tbl. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1½ Tbl. freshly minced dill, plus some for garnish
1 scallion, minced (white and green parts)
1 Tbl. half-and-half
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
1 jar (2 oz.) Romaoff Red Salmon Caviar
Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt Crackers

In a medium mixing bowl, cream the cream cheese until smooth.  Add sour cream, Mascarpone, lemon juice, dill, scallion, half-and-half, salt and pepper.  Blend until thoroughly incorporated.  With a rubber spatula, gently fold in all but ½ a teaspoon of caviar.  Spoon spread into a serving bowl.  Garnish with reserved caviar and fresh dill.  Serve with Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt crackers.

Recipe Correction:  
If you picked up a recipe from my table it has "1/4 tsp. Kosher salt".  It should be "Kosher salt, to taste"

*****

This next recipe, Hatch Chile Cheese Ball, is a customer favorite from Hatch Chile season 2013.  

While I was preparing this, I questioned why I was sampling it.  Nicole wanted me sample TFM's Spicy Southwest Spread with Hatch Chiles.  I had my cheese ball.  Her recipe and mine conatined the same main ingredients - hatch chiles and cheddar cheese.  The main difference was Nicole's spread had mayonnaise and mine cream cheese.  Not that I'm competative or anything (but I am) ... my cheese ball was favored over Southwest Spread!  


Hatch Chile Cheese Ball
5 Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, stemmed, seeded and chopped
1½ lbs. Adams Reserve Cheddar, shredded
16 oz. cream cheese, softened
½ red onion, diced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dark chile powder
2 c. smoked almonds, chopped

In a large bowl, place chilies, cheddar, cream cheese, onion, salt, and chile powder. Mix until well blended.  Form mixture into a ball. 

Before serving, roll cheese ball in almonds.

Serve with TFM crackers, Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt crackers, or Original Pretzel Crisps.

I could have left the store a rich person if I had a nickle for every delicious comment and tasty sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment