Sunday, August 30, 2015

Recipes: Fiesta Rice Salad - Sriracha Bacon Cheese Ball - Sweet Heart Parmigiano-Reggiano Spread


A number of compliments on the food sampling.  A few customers even commented, "you must have the best parties."  So, thank you!  However, y'all don't need me to throw a party.  You have my recipes and can do it.  I'm just trying to inspire you.  Labor Day is next weekend.  Get your recipes and grocery list together.

There were two favorite recipes.  Since its Hatch Chile season, let's start with that recipe.  Aside from the "delicous" comments, this was  another recipe where just one sample didn't suffice.  For a lot of customers (and my trusty TFM Taste Testers) sample 2 and 3 didn't suffice either.  Hmmmm, staying for lunch?


Fiesta Rice Salad
1½ c. uncooked rice
2 ears fresh yellow corn
1 can black beans, drained
1/3 c. diced red onion
1 tsp. cumin
¼ c. chopped cilantro
3 to 4 Hatch Chiles, roasted, peeled, stemmed, seeded and chopped
½ avocado, diced
1 Tbl. olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Salt, to taste

Cook rice according to package directions.  Fluff and cool.  When rice has cooled, place it and next 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  Toss gently until thoroughly incorporated.  Add olive oil and lime juice.  Toss gently.  Season with salt to taste.

Easy to prepare.  I used my rice cooker. Just set it and walk away. I love not having to watch a pot on the stove.  I do NOT cook the corn; just cut it off the cob.  Don't want to use fresh corn?  You can use canned (drained) or frozen (thawed -  you may laugh at that, but back in the day, our good friend Randy had Dave and I over for dinner.  Randy thought he was so creative using frozen vegetables to make a salad.  Only he didn't defrost any of them.  NOT so enjoyable.)

*****

Rave reviews about this recipe.  Again, customers couldn't eat just one bite.

Sriracha Bacon Cheese Ball 
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
10 oz. smoked Gouda, shredded
½ c. Sir Kensington Sriracha Mayonnaise
¼ c. diced red onion
1 bottle Hormel Real Bacon Bits

In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients, except bacon bits.

Form mixture into a ball and roll in bacon bits.

Yields:  1 cheese ball

I sampled Sir Kensington products at the Fancy Food Show this year.  Last week I shared their Classic Mayonnaise.  This weekend, Sriracha Mayonnaise.  (Next weekend, Chipotle Mayonnaise.) I served this Original Pretzel Crisps 

September 1, 2015 - Because this was so popular on the weekend, I decided to sample it at my Tuesday wine tasting.  Huge hit.

*****

Last, is a Parmesan spread. What started out to be a Savory Parmigiano-Reggiano Spread (a customer favorite from last year), turned into "Plan B" and then "Plan C".  

"Plan B" (Friday) - The objective of this recipe was to use artichokes from TFM's Delallo salad bar.  Guess what?  No artichokes.  This weekend someone took them off the salad bar.  I also wanted to use TFM Garlic French Rounds.  Guess what?  Not enough French Rounds for sampling/selling in any flavor.    So, I had to use Sweet Heart Salad (artichokes, Peppadew, and hearts of palm) and crackers.  I was  not happy, nor was I cooking with love.

Sweet Heart Parmigiano-Reggiano Spread
12 oz. TFM (Delallo) salad bar Sweet Heart Salad
1 c. Sir Kensington mayonnaise
1 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
TFM Garlic French Rounds

Drain artichokes and chop into small pieces.  In a small bowl stir together artichokes, mayonnaise and Parmigiano-Reggiano.  Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Yields: 3 cups

This recipe is here for anyone who sampled on Friday.  You can recreate the recipe you liked.  Not too many comments on this spread.

"Plan C" (Saturday) - I had issues with "Plan B".  The Parmigiano-Reggiano didn't result in the flavor I wanted.  Even though I drained the Sweet Heart Salad, I felt there was still too much oil.  BUT on the bright side ... I HAD TFM GARLIC FRENCH ROUNDS!

Sweet Heart Parmesan Spread
12 oz. TFM (Delallo) salad bar Sweet Heart Salad
1 c. Sir Kensington mayonnaise
1 c. grated Domestic Parmesan
TFM Garlic French Rounds

Drain artichokes, pat dry,  and chop into small pieces.  In a small bowl stir together artichokes, mayonnaise and Parmesan.  Cover and refrigerate until needed.

Yields: 3 cups

Removing more of the oil by patting dry was perfect.  Domestic Parmesan gave the right flavor.  Garlic French Rounds added the perfect extra punch of flavor.  A number of customers enjoyed this and product was selling (always a great sign).  I have to say, I'm glad this recipe is behind me.


I'll end with something I loved that a customer said.  "Buy wine while you have the money.  Because when you don't have the money, you'll at least have wine."



No comments:

Post a Comment