Sunday, July 5, 2015

Recipes: Roasted Garlic Onion Jam over Goat Cheese with Smoked Almonds - Corn and Black Bean Salad - Blueberry Hibiscus Sampler

It's always nice to have my second table with food sampling.  It's always a party.  I get to see my regular customers and meet new customers who become regulars.  This weekends offerings were quick and easy to prepare, but most of all, flavorful. 



This first recipe is an old customer favorite.  This weekend it was the hands down favorite.  Stonewall Kitchen's Roasted Garlic Onion Jam is so versitle.  I served it over goat cheese, but you can use Brie, cream cheese, and Camembert.  Use it as a topping for burgers or hot dogs.  I also have a customer favorite recipe, Roasted Garlic Onion Cheese Ball, that uses Roasted Garlic Onion Jam; check it out.


Roasted Garlic Onion Jam over Goat Cheese with Smoked Almonds just as the name indicates, it's a layering of flavors.

2  10.5 oz. logs Ile de France 
     goat cheese
1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Onion Jam
1 c. smoked almonds, coarsely chopped
Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt crackers

Place goat cheese, side by side, on serving plate.  Spread Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Onion Jam, to taste, over cheese.  Garnish with smoked almonds, to taste.  Serve with Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt crackers.


Placing the goat cheese logs side by side makes a nice platform to hold the Roasted Garlic Onion Jam and nuts.  If  you do not need that much goat cheese, use two small logs, or cut the 10.5 oz. in half, and place next to each other.  

Use a HEAVY hand on the nuts. (So you may want more than 1 cup.) I found I had to keep putting smoked almonds on the dish as customers kept scooping nuts onto their cracker.  Can't say I blame them. The creamy, savory goat cheese, with the sweet garlic onion jam, and crunch of the nuts ... yum!  One customer told me she could sit down at the table and eat the whole thing.

This was the PERFECT pairing with Coppola Rosso-Bianco Rosso that I was pouring Saturday.

*****

Corn and Black Bean Salad was a favorite last year  so I wanted to do it again.  

This was a hit again. One of my regular customers, Lisa, was preparing this to put on Shrimp Fajitas.


*****

Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup are on sale at The Fresh Market; $5.99 a jar.  A great price.  For this reason I wanted to sample them out Friday night.  Lucky for me, I happened upon a drink recipe in my Market Watch, June 2015 magazine.  It's a recipe from the Cocktail Guru, Jonathan Pogash.  


Photo from
http://marketwatchmag.com/mixology-summer-cocktails-june-2015/

Blueberry Hibiscus Sampler
3 oz. Maschio Prosecco, plus more for float
1 ½ oz. blueberry juice
½ oz. Wild Hibiscus Flower Co. hibiscus syrup*
1 Wild Hibiscus flower*

Combine Prosecco, juice and syrup in a mixing glass with ice and stir briefly.  Strain into Champagne flute and top with more Prosecco.  Garnish with a hibiscus flower.

Yields: 1 serving.

A hit with customers.  If too sweet add more Prosecco.  If not sweet enough add more hibiscus syrup or less Prosecco.  For these reasons, add Prosecco a little at a time and taste along the way.  

Because I did this at the store, in a pitcher and not with a Champagne flute to top, I just mixed it all in the pitcher at once.




*1 jar of Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup has 11 flowers in syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment